SC - mustard balls - was - First Feast

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Tue Apr 20 07:39:28 PDT 1999

Kat describes a "box table":

> A third Cool Thing that my sweetie promises he'll make for me some
day:  In
> an old woodworking book from the 70's we saw a picture of a table-box.
It
> looks like a long, skinny box with hinges on both long sides.  Then
the
> long sides fold up and braces turn it into a table with a dry-goods
shelf
> underneath.  Wooden legs that store inside the box are screwed onto
the
> bottom.  Presto!  It's a kitchen table!

There are several variations on the folding chuck-box that may be found
in Boy Scout publications from that timeframe (and esp. earlier).  Old
merit badge books and the _Fieldbook_ are the most likely candidates
other than special publications.

I have seen some speculations about similar conveniences constructed
for medieval field armies, but no solidly-documented drawings or
descriptions.  I believe that surviving examples of portable tables
dating back into the Napoleonic era do still exist, but do not include
storage space as an integral design element.

(The field kitchen as a separate military entity may indeed be more
of a post-1600 concept than otherwise, but it has been a few years
since I made a foray into studying that aspect of military logistics
in detail.)

Mike C. Baker
SCA: Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
"Other": Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard)
My opinions are my own -- who else would want them?
e-mail: kihe at ticnet.com OR kihe at rocketmail.com