SC - Cooking Humor - Elephant Stew

Vicki Strassburg taltos at primenet.com
Tue Apr 20 12:18:07 PDT 1999

Greetings:

I just thought I'd throw my two florins in on this discussion.

Lord Ras stated:
>Distilling is a no-no in the US without a special permit to do so BUT
brewing
>is definitely not a no-no. Different states allow different amounts,
SFAIK.

This  is absolutely true, but there are few details that you may be
interested in.

1) The only special permits for distillation, that I am aware of, are
technically for research into alternate fuel sources.  There has been
several cases in the past when the distillate was diverted for other
purposes, but the laws concerning the special permits particularly states
that the distillate must be "denatured" (i.e. rendered unfit for
consumption, by adding an approved, noxious, poisonous additive).  Note,
while these permits seemed to popular in the 1970's, they are apparently
very rare now-a-days.

2)The national laws concerned only prohibit the distillation of Ethanol.
 If you are distilling a non-consumable type of alcohol (i.e. Isopropyl,
Methanol, etc.), for example in the production of perfume, perhaps these
particular laws do not apply. (Note, however, this is NOT legal advice;
 I'm simply stating that I feel that it warrants inquiring with more
knowledgeable individuals.)

3)Similarly, the legality of distilling essential oils from spices (e.g.
Oil of Cloves, Oil of Wintergreen, etc.) is uncertain to me.

4)And as a final point of confusion, the National regulations actually
refer to the increasing of ethanol content by any means, thereby closing
the loophole for such other techniques as fractional freezing (used in the
production of Eisbock), etc. It has occurred to me: "What is the legality
of distilling a beverage, when the ethanol content does not increase?"  You
may be saying "Huh?! How is that possible?"  Simple, start with store
bought (taxed and bonded) brandy or neutral grain spirits.  Then run your
distillation in a manner in which no concentration is done.  Why would one
want to do this?  I have a pet theory that a process like this would more
closely reproduce some of the late-period distilled
beverages/tonics/medicines, as opposed to the "soak the flavoring agents in
brandy" technique used by several liqueurs.

Note all of this only concerns NATIONAL laws.  With each state, your
mileage may vary.

Further information concerning homebrewing (but not specifically
distillation) can be found at:
http://www.beertown.org/AHA/Legal/legal.htm

Any opinions or comments?

Many thanks for your kind attention,