SC - Superstitious Foods....

Heitman fiondel at fastrans.net
Wed Apr 21 05:56:47 PDT 1999

Common name:  Pokeweed
Family:  Phytolacca
Species:  Americana

Taken from Wildflower Folklore by Laura C. Martin.
              ISBN 0-88742-016-8
					 East Woods Press, 1984

growing to heights of ten feet or more, The leaves are soft and plyiable.
The small whit flowers and the dark purple berries are borne on erect racemes.

Habitat: common in dry areas or disturbed places.

Blooms: May through October.

Probably no other plant gets as much attention in the spring as does the
pokeweed, or poke sallet, as many of the mountain people call it.  The young
shoots are collected and then cooked like greens.  An old mountain recipe
says to wash and cook the stems and leaves together and to boil and drain
them several times.  Eating poke sallet in the spring is said to revive the
blood, and since ti is full of vitamin C and iron, it could be quite
beneficial.  However, once the plant gets about three feet high, it should
not be eaten, because the roots and berries are poisonous.  The old fashioned
antidote for poke poisoning is to drink lots of vinegar and eat a pound of
lard!  This in incentive enough not to eat the pokeweed if you have any
doubts as to whether or not it is the right time to eat the plant.

Besides being an excellent spring vegetable, pokeweed has many other virtues.
 The Algonguin Indians called the plant puccoon, which means "plant used for
staining or dying."  This also accounts for the common name inkberry. The
berries are dark purple and make and excellent dye.  'An old mountain custom
was to wear a string of poke berries around your neck to avoid catching a
contagious disease.  Although the root is poisonous, if made into a salve, it
is useful for soothing burns and sore that do not heal easily.  A concoction
make for the roots and leaves was given as a tonic to chickens and when they
seemed sluggish.  The berries are eaten by robins, woodpeckers, flickers and
several other species of birds.

In the presidential campaign of 1844, James K. Polk and his supporters wore
pokeberry leaves as a campaign symbol.

More information taken from Magic and medicine of Plants, Reader's Digest,
1984

Pg. 23 "And an old man conjured almost to death by his landlord was healed by
the washing his feet in a bath of running brier and pokeweed root."

Pg. 358 Leaves, roots and berries are poisonous.  A malodorous upright
perennial weed up to 12 feet high, the sun loving pokeweed grows in damp
fields, open woods, and waste places in eastern north American, California,
and Hawaii.  Its branching stem is reddish; its large pointed leaves taper at
both ends.  Upright spikes of greenish-white flowers develop into hanging
clusters of purple to black berries.

Personal findings

I was introduced to the plant when it was served to me as greens.  A lot of
mountain folk worked at my last job.  I found them to be extremely
astringent.  They were best when leaves were young and cooked with lots of
bacon and butter.  They are very similar to very strong spinach.  I was
warned not to pick them {the leaves} after the berries changed color.  I must
admit that this was about three feet.

Hope this helps.

Frederich