SC - Brewing/Vintning PA law

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Wed Apr 21 06:27:16 PDT 1999

I eat pokeweed every spring. Easiest way to prepare it is to "cook it in two
waters", ie boil it for a bit, throw out the water, then boil it again-
steaming will work for the second boiling, then prepare or dress as you
would asparagus- Frederich's right, it is strongly flavored, but more like
aspasagus than spinach, IMO. Around here, it's CALLED "Poor Man's
Asparagus."

I usually look forward to it in the spring- it ought to be out in a couple
weeks, and I get it when it's between 1 and two feet tall.

Only dyeing I've tried with it was inadvertant- it leaves a lovely winy red
color on your clothes, but at first washing they go to a dark silvery grey,
so I suspect that if you intend to dye and you want the color, you'd better
experiment a bit and find a mordant for it.

Is there a European variety or equivalent?

Phlip

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig