SC - Its All Geography (Was: Carne con chile)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Apr 21 21:14:36 PDT 1999

Michelle Groulx wrote:

> >Sorry, this is the terminology used up here.
>
> This terminology was used sca-wide until very recently. Of course, its your
> choice. The postings on this subject MAY be in Stephans Florilegium, I
> dunno, but it might
> explain a little clearer WHY these terms were deemed necessary to drop.
> Again, its your call.

Yes. The short version is that "remove" is a convention of
18th/19th-century dining, while a perfectly good period English word,
well documented in menus and cookery books, which described exactly what
we are talking about, is "course".

As for feastcrat or feast-o-crat, I never heard this term until about
1987 (i.e. as of when I'd been in the SCA five years), and so far as I
know, has never been commonly used in the East. It does, however, make
its meaning clear to virtually any SCAdian, no matter how tacky it may
be. Commonly used substitutes nowadays are "Cook", "Head Cook", "Chef",
"Kitchen Steward", "Cuisinier", and "Kitchener". No one seems to like my
favorite, "Architriclinus", so I usually go with either "Kitchener" or "Hash-Slinger-In-Chief".

> >  This is another reason I don't like research.  How can I
> >possibly learn everything from scratch and why when so many have already
> done it.  Language, food, clothing,
> >hair, crafts, arms and armor... I can't learn everything all at once and I
> have to rely on those who have
> >come before me.
>
> Time my dear.

Agreed! You don't have to learn things all at once. You're likely to
pick them up over time without even trying, and without even wanting to,
at times. Practices in the SCA evolve over time, so it's impossible to
do all your learning about this stuff all at once and then never have to
do it again. But then one of the great ways to learn something is to be
informed by someone who knows, so you see you're learning quite well
already. Some people call the recommended approach process-oriented,
rather than goal-oriented. Really, I wouldn't waste my time with
feelings of inadequacy; that's time you could be using constructively to
have fun!

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy