SC - distilling

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Thu Apr 22 06:28:35 PDT 1999

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir wrote:

> >I belive active enforcement ended sometime in the 19th century...
>
> No, it was active until 1987, when the European Union Court repealed is as
> restrictive to free trade within the European market, but many German
> brewers still apply it to their products. A translation of the original text
> can be found here:
>
> http://www.hbd.org/brewery/library/ReinHeit.html
>
> Nanna
> (on the first day of summer, according to the old Icelandic calender)

Hey, cool! Thanks fer the URL!

Note that there is a difference between an active law and active
enforcement. While I don't question the date you give (not having done
any recent or in-depth research on it), how does that mesh with German
beer styles that clearly violate it, such as wheat beer?

Or am I simply misinformed on what it actually says?

All right, all right, I'll look at the URL! ;  )

Thanks again!

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy