SC - Re: Getting hot

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Thu Apr 22 13:10:11 PDT 1999

nope. it is still taking a ferment and rendering out the excess water to make a
stronger product.
margali

Daniel Phelps wrote:

> Since this thread has come up I have a question.  Not being a chemist I am
> not sure what it is called "Freeze Distillation?" mayhaps but I have been
> lead to believe that one can use repeated freezing and draining to
> concentrate alcohol from say fermented apple juice and thus make "Apple
> Jack".  And thus by pass the steam distillation process.   Is true?  Is
> legal?
>
> Daniel Raoul

fyi only ;-)
the easiest waay to freeze distill is to take a large metal bowl of the liquid,
pop it in the freezer. when it gets down to 32 deg fahrenheit, drop in a
handfull of icecubes. the excess water congeals on the ice cubes and after a
while [typically 15-20 minutes] you take the bowl out of the freezer, remove the
ice cubes, let the liquid rise to just above freezing and repeat. Keep in mind
that the average brew is from 15% alcohol and less, so you really need a lot of
swill to distill. classic applejack is made by leaving a barrel of hard cider
out in the winter, so that when you tap it  by drilling into the ice to get to
the alcoholic liquid core, you only have a gallon or so of jack. lots of work
for little return.  rectifying is much easier and faster,,,