SC - fruit soup

CorwynWdwd@aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Thu Apr 22 20:35:16 PDT 1999

lilinah at grin.net wrote:

> Two construction workers walked, big, burly, manly, in their work boots,
> jeans. plaid shirts, and leather tool belts. They ordered ribs with medium
> sauce.
>
> My daughter and i ordered the "watch out!" sauce. The waitress stood over
> us watching us eat, amazed that an 8-year-old could eat this stuff. It was
> quite hot, but very flavorful - hot, sour, sweet, fruity, etc.

One of the truly great joys of my life was watching a man in a
ten-gallon hat and a rather peculiarly-cut suit enter a Szechuan
restaurant not far from the New York Stock Exchange, order his meal, and
tell the waiter that wheah he com frum, they lahk theah food with som
fi-ah to it, so he should just go in that kitchen an' tell th' cooks ta
just make evrythin' jus' lahk they always do, as if they wuz cookin' fuh
they own selves, but to use twahce as much hot peppas. (My apologies for
the poorly rendered accent, but he laid it on pretty thick...)

And they did exactly as requested.

I think it was after the second bite that the gentleman indicated real
distress, and those who could control their laughter were offering
helpful advice: "Eat some rice! It'll help clear it outta your mouth!"
"Drink some tea! The acid'll cut the capsaicin!" (That was me, of
course.) Oh, and "Get him a lemon or a lime from the bar!"

And they say there's no God...;  )

Adamantius, who, at the age I was at when this incident took place,
probably could have eaten that dish, but today would have second
thoughts, but still also had chili for lunch
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com