SC - distilling non-drinking items

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Apr 22 22:19:10 PDT 1999

Cindy Renfrow said:
> Hi!  I found it.  It's from Epulario (1598), p. 32:
>
> To make mustard which may be carried in Bals.
> Beat the mustard seed as aforesaid*, then take grapes well stamped, adding
> thereto Sinamon and Cloves, then make what fashion bals you will round or
> square, and set them on a table to dry, and being dry, you may carry them
> whether you will.  And when you will use them, temper them with a little
> veriuice, vinegar, sodden wine, or Bastard wine."
>
> *"Take mustard seed & let it soke for the space of two daies, and change
> the water often, that it may be the whiter..."

Thanks, Cindy.

A few questions if I may.

1) What does it mean by "grapes well stamped"? The grape outside after
most of the juice has been squeezed out? Or the juice? I would guess
the former.

2) Any idea what "sodden wine" or "Bastard wine" is? The former sounds
like old wine or wine that has been in contact with the air for awhile.
The latter sounds like just "low grade" wine.

"round or square bals". Ok. :-)

Thanks.
  Stefan
- --