SC - Herb Distillations

Stephanie Rudin srudin at okom.net
Fri Apr 23 12:46:52 PDT 1999

LYN M PARKINSON writes:
>I've gone and filed it 'somewhere', but what she does is put the
>petals and water in a non-reactive pan--I'll use a glass Corning wear
>one, then bring to a simmer.  In the bottom of the pan is a cup that
>holds the rose water.  You put the pan lid upside down, so the rose
>water condensing on the lid drips down the handle, falling into the
>cup.

This is similar to the method I use, which I found in a variety of herbal
books, as well as a book I have on how to live on a commune.  (Very
useful info in that one). Ok, this is a still, I use it to make herb
distillations.  It entails a 6qt enamel stock pot, a small stainless
steel mixing bowl (probably a 2 cup size), some kind of trivet on the
bottom (glass, wire, brick, etc.) to raise the level of the bowl, and a
large stainless steel mixing bowl, large enough to sit on top of the pot
and act as a lid.  Water and the herb or flower is put in the bottom of
the pot, and the trivet and the sm. bowl are put in the center.  The
large bowl sits on top, and the whole arrangement should work so that
there is room between bowls.  When heated, the steam rises, ice placed in
the top bowl aids in condensation, and the droplets run down the sides of
the lg. bowl and drop into the smaller bowl below.  We have made some
wonderful lavender water this way, in addition to eucalyptus, rosemary,
and some roots too, but I can't remember what that was just now.
Christianna