SC - Fw: [TY] Fruits From 'New World'

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Mon Apr 26 12:46:52 PDT 1999

>> carrot and spice drink (throw out the carrots, use the water they
were
>> boiled in!)
>
>Given that carrots in period seem to have been a little closer to
>parsnips than to modern carrots, I'll point out that when you boil
>parsnips in the right mass proportion to water, you end up with quite
>respectable light syrup (fermentable and the basis of an alternative
>stout in Britain).
>
>Adamantius

So, do parsnips have some sort of thickening quality, or a large
amount of sugar?  When I boiled carrots,parsnips,turnips in the broth
leftover from pot-roasting beef, I was surprised at how thick it got
and how sweet it tasted.  I put the sweetness down to the fruit juices
added to the pot in lieu of wine (alcohol allergic co-cook redefined
the recipe at the last minute) or possibly the "texas sweet" onions
that were cheapest at the store day before feast.  But I didn't know
what the think of the nice gravy texture of the pot juices.  Just
served it.

has anyone else observed this?

Bonne