SC - Frumenty - sweet question

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Apr 26 13:52:51 PDT 1999

> I forward this to the list from the Tavern Yard (Meridies' Chat List),
> because I thought there might be some interesting commentary from here.
> 	Christianna
>
> My questions are:
> 1) Approximatley when did the Pineapple reach England (and
> surrounding areas)?

According to the quick ref, Columbus introduced the pineapple (Ananas
comosus) to Spain in 1493.  I haven't seen anything as to when the pineapple
reached England, but I suspect it is in the 17th Century, after England
establishes colonies in the Caribbean.

> 2) Waht other 'New World' fruits were discovered and when...

Also attached to Columbus' return in 1493 is the plantain (Musa
paradisiaca), a relative of the banana.  The fruit is similar to the fruit
of genus Plantago which appears to have been cultivated in Europe at the
time and was also known as plantain.

> Any suggestions on making a pineapple codpiece?  (the things I make for
> my beloved)
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Ly. Ganna

Bear