SC - Hi, I'm new to the list.

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Mon Apr 26 15:04:19 PDT 1999

In a message dated 4/26/99 12:28:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Gerekr at aol.com
writes:

<< When we were doing our research, I charted ingredients on 10 frumenty
 recipes from English sources from ca. 1381 thru 2-15th.  Half of them (5)
 included sugar.

 From the Misc, the Ancient cookery appended to FC, the recipe on p. 81
 From the Misc, the Noble Boke, the recipe on p. 100
 From my own EETS 2-15th, the recipes on pp. 17, 70 & 105 (that's 75% of
 the recipes in that source) >>

I can understand why you thought them sweet from your description.  Of
course, th same recipes become very tasty when the broth is mellowed by a
spoon of sugar only. It is amazing how far we have come in the last 10 (or
for that matter 5) yrs. in the advancement of period cookery. :-)

Ras