SC - The war of Northern agression? (was hi I'm new)

Terri Millette wayspiff at ici.net
Tue Apr 27 01:27:52 PDT 1999

Mouuze at aol.com wrote:

> is there a period fruit pastry out there?
> like pasties?

There are instances of pies either containing fruit in addition to other
ingredients (and often the fruit is dried) or occasionally fruit with a
custard mix (such as apples or cherries). I'd say the biggest influx of
what we would today call a fruit pastry in an English source is in
~1545, in "A Newe Proper Booke of Cokery", which contains a pastry
recipe and several recipes for fruit pies and tarts together in one section.

One problem with thinking in terms of a fruit pasty, other than that
I've never seen such a reference and the concept may violate some
unwritten law among period cooks, if you know what I mean, is that if
there _were_ textual references to fruit in pasties, we still would have
no reason to assume what was meant was anything like a Cornish pasty in
shape or pastry composition. See what I mean? All we would know is that
fruit appeared to have been eaten wrapped in pastry, and that's
something we already know.

> i have a friend who is serving a dish and was wondering if it was period

Ah. See above. ;  ) . Rather than give the standard lecture about
documentation after the fact, we can consider it given and simply say
yes, it does appear fruit in pastry was eaten in period, in one form or
another, but that half-moon-shaped turnovers filled with sweetened fruit
with the juice thickened to provide a sauce, probably were not, or at
least I'm not aware of any reason to assume so.

Does that do it for you?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy