SC - Fayettevilles (was hi I'm new)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Apr 27 11:01:25 PDT 1999

At 8:22 AM -0400 4/27/99, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

>There are instances of pies either containing fruit in addition to other
>ingredients (and often the fruit is dried) or occasionally fruit with a
>custard mix (such as apples or cherries). I'd say the biggest influx of
>what we would today call a fruit pastry in an English source is in
>~1545, in "A Newe Proper Booke of Cokery", which contains a pastry
>recipe and several recipes for fruit pies and tarts together in one section.

What about "Quinces in Paste" in Chiquart and the equivalent recipe in _Two
Fifteenth Century_ (which has a pear variant)?

One question here is what counts as "pastry." My working assumption is that
"paste" unqualified means a flour and water dough, not a shortening, flour
and water pastry (i.e. more like what we think of as pizza than what we
think of as pie crust), but I'm not sure that is right, and we sometimes do
such recipes using pie crust.

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University