SC -beef stew, was period fruit pastries

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Tue Apr 27 14:24:17 PDT 1999

His Grace writes:

Actually, I'm not sure beef stew is period. More precisely, I can't think
of any non-Islamic period recipes that correspond to what modern people
think of as "generic stew." There are dishes where the meat has been
stewed, but I can't think of any where pieces of stewed meat are combined
with substantial vegetables in a thick gravy or something similar.
Perhaps
someone else can offer examples.<<

Absolutely right.  I did quite a lot of research into stews last year,
and incorporated that research into a Pennsic class.  Meat was stewed as
a method of cooking.  A Civy had onions added.  The parsnips, carrots,
etc. were not part of the dish.  Our version of stew is much more modern.

In regard to fruit in pastry, you are most likely to find that in the
German corpus, under 'pasteten'.  Bear suggests 'kraphen', but that might
be a doughnut type thing, or even fried pie, depending on where and when.
 Pasteten sometimes is fairly clearly a pie/tart, but may have been
individual, as well.  Generally means 'pastry'.

Mom's Apple Pie it isn't, though.

Regards,

Allison
allilyn at juno.com, Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands, Pittsburgh, PA