SC - gardening question

Aelfwyn@aol.com Aelfwyn at aol.com
Tue Apr 27 14:54:09 PDT 1999

> In regard to fruit in pastry, you are most likely to find that in the
> German corpus, under 'pasteten'.  Bear suggests 'kraphen', but that might
> be a doughnut type thing, or even fried pie, depending on where and when.
>  Pasteten sometimes is fairly clearly a pie/tart, but may have been
> individual, as well.  Generally means 'pastry'.
>
> Regards,
>
> Allison

Modern krapfen are Berliner's, deep fat fried jelly-filled doughnuts.

Period krapfen are more eclectic having meat, fish and fruit fillings.  The
doughs are both leavened and unleavened.  One set of instructions I've found
bakes them in oil.  I suspect (but can not prove) they are closer to a pasty
than a doughnut.  From the lack of instructions, you might even produce a
covered tart (which I believe Alia Atlas did).

I've recently started researching krapfen.   As a spur to my research, I've
offered to teach a hand's on class in krapfen making at the Ansteorran
King's College, So I'll be experimenting during May.  I'll post the handout
after I get it worked up.

Bear