SC - period fruit pastries

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Apr 28 18:18:40 PDT 1999

"Sharon R. Saroff" wrote:

> Adamantius,
>
> A short while back there was a discussion on this list about stews and
> kosher food.  I know I mentioned the Jewish Sabbath stew which is known by
> many names.  It is mentioned in the Talmud not so much as a stew as we know
> it, but as how to prepare a hot meal for the Sabbath.  Something on the
> order of meat and other things unspecified placed in a pot and slow cooked
> overnight on hot coals.  In the Talmud it is called Hameem.  I have a
> "traditional" recipe (The author has done a lot of research but doesn't
> give an exact date) that lists chicken or lamb, rice, sometimes beans,
> onions and root veggies of various sorts.  I also have a similar one called
> Dafina (T'fina) that has potatoes and squash added to the above.  Both are
> Middle Eastern or of the Sephardic Jewish Heritage.
>
> As an Ashkanzi (European Jew) I grew up with my grandmother's Cholent which
> is beef or chicken, barley, beans and potatoes.  There was always a piece
> of Kishka (the Jewish equivalent of Haagis, but much tastier) in the pot.
> One of my T'fina recipes notes somekind of sausage-like item in the pot and
> eggs in their shells (Huevos Haminodos).  I know I have posted my sources.

Okay, I'll go with all this, but I'm not sure where you're going with
it. Is this about the discussion between HG Cariadoc and others on the
subject of whether stew is period, with answers differing according to
one's definition of "stew"? (Cariadoc seems to have felt that what most
people mean by "stew" is the relatively modern American dish involving
beef or other meat braised with a typical mix of winterish vegetables
like potatoes, carrots, etc.)

Yes, I'm aware of cholent and similar dishes such as cassoulet in its
infinite variety, as well as the rather similar olla podrida. Are you
just telling us that there are stewed dishes out there in period, or do
you feel I've unfairly neglected to mention them in a discussion on
modern beef stew with potatoes, etc. ? It's true I didn't mention all of
them, but that was because I was commenting on the fact that the
specific references in the current thread seemed to be mostly from
English sources (and in this claim I was wrong, I now see, because
something that I'd thought was from Gervase Markham was in fact from
Platina, albeit pretty similar to a dish in Markham's "The English
Hus-Wife", despite different locations and centuries).

As to the sources you posted, I'm sure they were there, but I confess
the only ones I recall seeing at this point are some references to the
Talmud, and some references to dishes that are traditional and probably
quite old, if not [easily] documentably so.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com