SC - krapfen baked in oil

grasse@mscd.edu grasse at mscd.edu
Thu Apr 29 08:11:06 PDT 1999

Karin asks:

>Okay - why? if you are learning period skills, surely butchery and
slaughtery are just as valid?

They ARE quite valid, it's just that once someone BADLY bungled it at
Pennsic, and it's not allowed to be done on site.

I've been trying to talk to Ras and see if he's willing to do an off-site
butchering thing for the Cook's List people, where we butcher on Sunday or
Monday, cook on Tuesday during the day, and present the entire pig at the
Potluck Tuesday night. I'm thinking it would be manageable with a small pig,
maybe 60-80 lbs on the hoof, without having too many leftovers in the
Pennsic heat. We might even be able to set this up with Alys as an off-site
class.

60-80 lbs of live pig, btw, translates into about 30-40 lbs of pork, bone
in.

Any thoughts, anyone? Would the pig farmer allow us to do this at his farm?

Phlip

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig