SC - Good News - OT

Butterfield, Margaret msbutterfield at mail.aacc.cc.md.us
Thu Apr 29 10:24:24 PDT 1999

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Jeff Gedney wrote:

> >    (As for me, I think that the Middle Ages ended
> > around 1470-85 for most of Europe, much earlier for Italy. Once the Tudors
> > have a hold on England I don't much care, though some of their descendants
> > are interesting to study on their own.)
>
> Dear Lady,
> You are showing your West Coast Ethic.
> Not all of us subscribe to the "SCA=Arthurian=Middle Ages" Concept.
> Personally, I feel that since the Governing Documents allow Rennaissance Study, the Tudors are fair game for the SCA.
> (NOwhere in the SCA documents does it say that the SCA is about just the Middle Ages, BTW)

Kind sir,
	I'm afraid that you mis-read me- I was not referring to the SCA
governing documents, and a 'West Coast Ethic' has little to do with it
(especially with An Tir currently mostly populated with Calts, Vikings,
and Elizabethans. Makes for some weird looking events). I was voicing a
personal opinion about the extent of the Middle Ages, based solely on my
studies (I have a degree in Medieval Studies from the University of
Oregon, and am currently working largely on 14th and 15th c. texts). As to
the Arthurian-Middle-Ages, I was suggesting that that was a _starting
point_, not the limits of study and interest.

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731