New World fish - was Re: SC - Is tarragon period?

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Thu Apr 29 19:08:08 PDT 1999

In a message dated 4/29/99 9:18:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Karin.Oughton at geis.ge.com writes:

<< Semolina is usually 'rolled' wheat isn't it?>>

No. Semolina is made with a specific type of wheat. A type which, BTW, is not
only period but medieval and Roman. :-)

<< And I'm not sure if it is
 precooked a little too. >>

No , it is not pre-cooked.

<<Being the proud owner of one of those heavy machine,
 you couldn't make the pasta with semonlina ->>

Hmmmm...I am curious what brand you own. My pasta machine book that came with
mine clearly recommends semolina in  the recipes. And, all fine pasta
advertises  that it is made from semolina. I always use semilina when making
pasta with my machine and it works wonderfully.

The use of regular flour would produce noodles which although shaped like
pasta  they would taste  like noodles. Not pasta, but still good to eat.

Ras