SC - Pinecone

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Apr 29 20:04:27 PDT 1999

In a message dated 4/29/99 3:01:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time, kat at kagan.com
writes:

Quail/Pheasant/Etc.- Yes and no. Some pheasants were introduced rather late
from the Orient. I am not familiar with the European species of quail, if any.
 Tarragon- Old World (I do not know of any period recipes using it.)
 Broccoli- Old World
 Cauliflower- Old World
 Basil- Old World
 Oregano- Old World
 Moose/Elk- Moose is New World. Elk is both.
 Artichokes- Old world  (present form  created in the Italian Renaissance)
(Think cardoon for earlier)

 and Which fish are strictly new world? Bull heads, whiting come immediately
to mind but their are others.

 <<and Can you think of any new world meats besides turkey and rattlesnake?
  >> antelope, ground hog, aardvark, alligator, grey squirrel, oppossum,
raccoon, etc.

Ras