SC - Edible Flowers

lilinah@grin.net lilinah at grin.net
Fri Apr 30 09:48:29 PDT 1999

Mordonna inquired:
>I'm wondering if there are others on the list whose primary aim isn't large
>feasts?

As i mentioned, i've taught Southeast Asian cooking classes and catered
some events for fewer than 200 people (varying Middle Eastern and Southeast
Asian foods). It's great to have a crew to do all that labor-intenstive
prep work. Of course, one has to test the recipes, plan the menue and
figure out and purchase the quantities of foodstuffs ahead of time. But i'm
not intending to be Feast Steward - or whatever is the appropriate title -
any time soon.

I have tendonitis in both hips (from carry heavy sacks of art history books
at UCLA - really!) and bone spurs in both heels, but with appropriate shoe
liners, enough Naprosyn, and occasional sitting, i think i could manage. At
least, these ploys work at the numerous small Ren Fairs in which i act.

Right now, i'm interested in cooking for camping. I'm currently making some
not-period Moroccan (spiced carrot salad and orange-radish salad from Paula
Wolfert's Moroccan cook book) and Lebanese dishes because i'm familiar with
them - and feta, pita, hummous, and dates travel well.

But i'm exploring Stefan's Florilegium and after some experimenting at
home, i will be making some more-period foods. I noticed a number of
recipes by al-Baghdadi in Claudia Roden's "A Book of Middle Eastern Food"
(which i bought on 8 March 1977 and which must have highly acid paper
because the pages are turning quite brown).

If there's anyone in the Mists who needs kitchen assistance, i offer my aid
and i'll bring my own knife :-)

Anahita Gaouri bint-Karim al-Fassi

By the way, have any researchers discovered a period formula for Ras al-Hanout?