SC - REC: My seder menu

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Fri Apr 2 06:40:47 PST 1999

Awright, cuz, how come you didn't invite me over for dinner!

Do have a couple of questions:

First, is this a meal AFTER the traditional Seder meal with the bitter
herbs, etc, or are you incorporating the various traditional foodstuffs
throughout this meal? I was noticing everything on the web page seems to be
here.

Second, you said:

>I left out the cheese because we were having a meal meal.

I'm assuming you meant a meat meal. Would the new cheeses they've come out
with, that are non-dairy, I think some kind of tofu variant, have been
acceptable? I tried a couple and they were edible, though not as tasty as a
well-aged cheddar ;-)

Then you said:

> I used arrowroot as a thickener instead of rice flour because rice flour
is
not kosher for Passover for Ashkenazi Jews....

What flavor of Jew are Ashkenazi? And why is rice (and I think some other
grains) not kosher for Passover? Up until recently, I had thought that any
plant product was kosher, as long as there were no animal products (other
than manure for fertilizer) used in their production? Or do you have to cut
their stems and let the sap run out while saying a prayer ;-)

All in all, beloved cousin, it looks like a great meal. Thanks for sharing
it.

I'm still wondering about the lamb shanks and hot horseradish business from
the virtual seder plate you sent us- I can't think of a nicer combination,
and I thought this was to be a sacrficial meal. Thinking Jewish folks are a
lot more practical than I thought.

Phlip, who has never walked away from a kosher meal, feeling she was missing
something, unlike with other specialized diets.

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

When pompous people irk me with their regal attributes,
It pleases me to imagine how they'd look in bathing suits.