SC - Re: seder menu.

Fri Apr 2 10:25:48 PST 1999

> > The term whitefish is also used to describe the beluga
> > sturgeon.
>
> Interesting! By whom, and why?

Beluga sturgeon is a little redundant, but descriptive.  In Russian,
sturgeon is beyluga, as the beluga whale is beylukha.  The root is beylii or
white with an augmentative suffix, thus a rough literal translation of
sturgeon is whitefish, while the beluga whale translates as white whale.  It
would be interesting to see what the Russian call the North American
whitefish.

Having reached the limits of my massive knowledge of Russian liguistics, I'm
now probably the one in trouble.

> Adamantius

Bear