SC - Kitchen Steward Panics, film at 11:00

Heitman fiondel at fastrans.net
Mon Apr 5 06:00:01 PDT 1999

At 05:17 AM 4/5/99 EDT, you wrote:
>First. I keep getting told I'm underestimating the roast beef. I figured
>about a pound and a quarter for a table of eight, REMEMBER, there's other
>meat dishes.
>2. I have the estimated time to cook each meat pretty much down. For one of
>each. Is there a handy-dandy way of estimating how much more time I need for
>mass quantities?
>Corwyn

Personally, I work under the concept that the first meat course should have
5-6 oz meat (uncooked weight) per person. Each meat course thereafter
should lose an ounce. Thus the third meat course should have 3-4 oz per
person. The varying factor is whether the feasters are mostly fighter types
or artsy types. Much more and the end stuff comes back. Much less and
people complain of not enough meat.

As to the cooking time, you don't say what equipment you have available, or
whether the servings are being cooked in a lump (like a roast) or
individually sliced (like a steak.) Is there something to hold hot food in,
or is it coming straight from the oven to the table?  (please don't tell me
you "have a steam table." Those are the most misused piece of equipment in
the kitchen.) The only thing I can suggest, given the limited info, is to
use the "breathing" time to plate up, and only remove from the oven as much
as you are plating at that moment. Most 'cold' dishes are all pulled from
the oven simultaneously. Five minutes one way or the other won't matter
that much. And some folks like their meat done slightly more than others,
anyway.

Hope this helps

Franz