SC - Hot Chocolatl

David Dendy ddendy at silk.net
Tue Apr 6 15:59:45 PDT 1999

- ->What is meant by 700 of cacao? Is that the number of seeds, the number of
>pods, or a weight?

This would be the count of cacao beans. They were a valuable commodity, and
handled individually.

>What is the Logwood or Canpeche tree?

Logwood or Campeche wood is well known as a dyestuff, but the dyestuff is
the heartwood of the tree, and this recipe appears to call for the seed
pods. The recipe does seem to suggest that the taste of the pods is
comparable to aniseed., but I must admit I've never seen mention of logwood
pods before as a spice. Fascinating!

Francesco Sirene