SC - Keeping out the idle curious

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Apr 10 05:27:47 PDT 1999

In a message dated 4/10/99 12:00:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
gwalli at infoengine.com writes:

<< I suppose I'm grateful my husband stopped me before I posted the sign
 that said:

      "Pay us an outrageous compliment, put on an apron, or leave." >>

I see no problem with this sort of posting. When I  am Kitchen Steward, I
routinely place my personal work station as close to the main door of the
kitchen as possible specifically so i can stop anyone who comes in the door
more than 1 step. The typical conversation is " Knives and recipes are over
there. Can I help you?' or 'If you didn't come in here to work , you are
using the wrong door.', etc., etc. I also usually designate a middle person
to head off 'well wishers' and other sorts so only those with feast related
problems of major importance have access to me during actual feast
preperation.

Typical responces to those who do not take the time to read the posted
ingredients lists and menus are generally confined to 'Read the list on the
door'. or "What's is Shiwa'? It's food. That's why it's on the menu.' Benign
grumpiness can be a very effective tool in keeping the idle curious from
interfering in feast preparation, especially when the main kitchen staff is
aware of the 'joke'. :-)

Ras