SC - Prez Choice was Wegman's

Vanishwood at aol.com Vanishwood at aol.com
Sat Apr 10 22:16:04 PDT 1999

In a message dated 4/10/99 9:38:14 AM Central Standard Time,
dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca writes:

> President's Choice is a reasonably good generic brand name but not all their
>  products are worth buying. Its a trial and error situation and personal
>  preference. Most of their products I wouldn't buy again but there are a few
>  that are pretty good. I do like their salsa and their multi-cheese lasagna
>  (when I'm in a hurry) but for the most part I have certain brands that I
>  won't deviate from.
>
>  Micaylah

Funny thing but PC products sell really well vis-vis most national brands in
Canada, in fact I understand (from Dave Nichols, who was the marketing
manager for PC) that PC Carbonated beverages have a higher market share in
Loblaw stores than Coke or Pepsi.  In the corporate brand industry here in
the US, PC is considered one of the best programs in terms of quality and
depth of line.  Loblaws leads the supermarket industry in the US and Canada
in terms of product development (They bring to market about 100-200 new items
a year, and drop 50-100 on average), for example I saw a great line of Indian
frozen entrees at the Queensquay Loblaws, except for Trader Joe's, you would
never see that in a corporate brand in the US. They also have great natural
cheese, olive oil, dry pasta, cereals and shelf stable breads.  In Canada
they sell a great Chai Tea mix too...

Funny thing about their salsa, its made by a pasta sauce manufacturer in
upstate NY (I pretty sure), and I would swear that the stuff tastes like
pasta sauce with hot peppers added.. ;-)  I'd agree its all to an
individual's taste...but I like their products...

Ethelwulf