SC - Pennsic cooking classes

THL Caitlin Ruadh ruadh at twcny.rr.com
Mon Apr 12 09:27:25 PDT 1999

> Funny you should mention that. At our upcoming King's College I
> going to be
> teaching a class in sauces. Basically what I plan to do is
> provide a roasted
> chicken, brisket and pork roast and present several sauces.
> Basically to show
> how these simple dishes that are included in nearly every feast
> around here
> can be made different and more period by just supplying a couple of sauces
> with them. We will also make a couple of sauces to show how
> relatively easy
> they are. I'm planning on doing a variety of sauces and perhaps a homemade
> mustard.

Those sound like great classes!

As soon as I get it, I plan to forward a recipe that a new cook made this
weekend at his first feast!  It was a homemade mustard sauce with some honey
into it, that was just stunning!  VERY hot (and apparently less so then the
first batch) despite not a drop of horseradish or anything else that would
obviously have that effect.  It went over really well - people were begging
for more to go with other things!  (he served it with roast beef, but we
also tried it on bread, in the vegetarian barley soup and on the chicken!)
Apparently the recipe is out of Pleyn Delit and is very easy...

Anyway, we did a cooking workshop at my house once on this topic as well -
cook some plain meat to taste it on and just try things - it was an eye
opener for some of the attendees, and an interesting experiment for the rest
of us in what goes better with what...

Ruadh