SC - Introducing Francesco Sirene, belatedly

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Apr 12 11:17:30 PDT 1999

At 1:03 AM -0700 4/12/99, David Dendy wrote:
>One thing that I can say fairly categorically,
>though, is that the trade in and use of Ceylon cinnamon did not commence
>until the late 13th century; before that time "cinnamon" mean simply a
>higher grade of one of the cassias, either Indian or Chinese. (So I am sorry
>to say, Lord Ras, that unless your era is post-1275, you really should be
>using that harsher, coarser, reddish-brown stuff which Americans call
>cinnamon, although the rest of the world calls it cassia and reserves the
>name cinnamon for the sweet, mild, tan Ceylon variety.) Is anyone here
>interested in hearing about such researches in greater detail?

Yes.

I assume you know that the 13th c. Andalusian cookbook translated by Perry
routinely distinguishes between "cinnamon" and "chinese cinnamon." That
suggests that the two are significantly different; not having compared
different cassias I can't tell if it is consistent with your conclusions.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/