SC - cleanup

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Mon Apr 12 22:55:03 PDT 1999

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Mary Morman wrote:

> I think that Master Adamantius has hit the nail right on the head - we are
> 'teaching' newcomers that paying a fee entitles them to be a guest at the
> event.  The money fee is only part of what it takes to put on an event,
> the other fee needs to be paid in labor and sweat, and each person needs
> to pay their share, just as each person pays their money fee at the door.
> Elaina

BINGBINGBINGBING!!!
	Different ares have different ideas about nobility and awards, and
what really means that one is 'ready' for the next step- But for me the
kind of participation is as important as the amount. And the expectations
thereof... oh dear, muddled already...
	When some one comes in and they are new, frequently it takes them
a few months of sitting and watching things happen, just to become
acclimated- as often as not they are staring in wonder and amazement, and
this is good- we lose or sense fo wonder too quickly, I fear.
	But there is a real threshold of participation, where folks get up
and start being a part of the action, rather than passive watchers. Maybe
they put on an apron and help in the kitchen, maybe they sit gate, maybe
they spend the after noon with the heralds, learning patter and how to
shuffle the cards. Soon they are carrying their own 'weight' in the labor
that has to happen for a successful event. Many people think that this is
AoA level participation, and I have seen many given out for that reason.
	I think it really takes and little more than that, really. I like
to think of the AoA as a 'coming of age' for SCAdians, nad like adulthood
in real life, there are things that we'd rather not do that we must, for
the cause of the social fabric. When I see someone carrying not just
their own load, but extra, to pick up the slack- to carry the newbies, or
to carry the load of someone who is tired and burnt out- I write letters.
Recognizing that this organization only functions because most of us give
110% is the mark of a degree of social maturity that many folks never
acheive.
	Yup, it's sad when a peer sits around thinking that they've done
theirs, now others can do for them. And even sadder when someone new or,
God forbid, a squire or apprentice sees that and thinks that it is
acceptable behavior. I would suggest that each one of us should grab
someone (or several someones) and teach them otherwise- gently, maybe by
saying "Hey, there's lots of joking and fun in the kitchen" or "We always
make a point of leaving a site cleaner than we found it- you seem to be
one of us now, how about pitching in?" Anyone who could resist the tug of
'belonging' is pretty hard-hearted and likely won't stay long anyway.
	I'm not physically able to do a lot of cleanup chores anymore
(hard to mop when you're using a cane) but I remember that some of the
wildest parties were in the kitchen after the hall had closed, eating
leftovers and sing show tunes while we mopped, thinking up 'shadow
heraldry' names for each other (and some who foolishly left, leaving them
wide open...), and feeling good about accomplishing something. I think
that we can give others the opportunity to feel this sense of belonging,
but it will take individual effort on our part to do this one by one,
member by member, event by event. Eventually the tide will turn. It must-
it can't resist the force of so many individuals!

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731