SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #1339

Lenny Zimmermann zimmerml at kci1.com
Tue Apr 13 12:18:03 PDT 1999

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999 17:43:33 +0100, Lucretzia wrote:

>I want to buy a copy of Platina, but am a bit up in the air as to which
book
>is best. Here are the three I have managed to find for sale;
>
>Jerred Metz "The Temperate Voluptuary; Freely rendered from Platina's
>cookbook, on its 500th anniversary." 1975, Capra Press

Bona Dies Illustrissima Madonna,

I'm not certain of the accuracy of this work, as the only copy I found
available was for around $80 and there was a note mentioning something about
woodcuts, leading me to believe this was a work devoted more to whatever
pictures were intent in "Platina's Cookbook". I have NOT seen a copy of this
book, however, so I really don't know what is in it, that is simply
conjecture and it could easily be a very wrong conjecture at that.

>Venice, L De Aguila, "Platina De Honesta Voluptate" 1967, Mallinckrodt
>collection of Food Classics  translation of rare 1475 cookbook

This work I do have, and it provides a side-by-side Latin-English
translation. It is a fairly decent transcription where the author noted
having some problems translating the 16th Century Italian. I find it to be a
very nice piece of work, but not knowing any Latin, cannot vouch for the
complete accuracy of it. It is an excellent source, however.

>Platina, Mary Ella Milham "Platina : On Right Pleasure and Good Health"
>1998, Medieval & Renaissance Texts & Studies, v.168

This is a new one to me. Is this a discussion of Platina's text, or a
transcription (possibly with notes) of that text? I'd have to look a bit
farther to find out, but personally I wouldn't mind acquiring it, either
way.

If it's quite affordable I would definitely go with the Mallinckrodt
collection book, as at the very least you are certain to get a full
transcription of the text. This last intrigues me greatly, though. I'll let
you know if I find out more, if you would do me the same kindness should you
find out more on it!

Honos Servio,

Lionardo Acquistapace
Bjornsborg, Ansteorra