SC - Stevia

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue Apr 13 12:00:30 PDT 1999

>I use lots of sugar.  What is Stevia, Christianna?  Don't think I've
>heard of that.  Herb?  Sweetener?  Chemical?
>
>Regards,
>
>Allison

Stevia is an herb, native to India, I think, and it is incredibly sweet.
It has a flavor of it's own, and I find it to be cloying in any but
miniscule amounts.  A friend says one drop of the extract (clear liquid)
is sufficient for an entire mug of coffee.  We have discussed it here
before, but rummaging through my files did not turn up a Stevia msg.
Perhaps someone else could provide the latin name and any other info?
Christianna