SC - Keeping out the idle curious

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Apr 13 16:30:12 PDT 1999

In a message dated 4/13/99 2:14:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com writes:

<<  I feel dealing with "drop-ins" with courtesy
 makes for happier times for everyone. >>

Hmmm. I don't recall advocating discourteous treatment of drop-ins. If by
courteousness you mean that one must be 'nicey-nicey' then we must agree to
disagree. I am not now nor have I ever been a hypocrit and I m sure you
haven't either. Fake behaviour is not a part of my personality and , IMO,
hyas no place in the definition of 'courtesy'. The use of bluntness is not
being discourteous. Certainly there is a line to be drawn but in the end, it
is like defining 'chivalry'....everyone has their own interpretation.

Definition: Courtesy
general allowance despite facts : INDULGENCE

(e.g. "May I use the bathroom?" "{Well, this bathroom is for Kitchen staff
only. There is one over there." "But this is an emergency! " Ok. Go on
through." -courteous
e.g. "May I use the bathroom?" "No."- discourteous)

   b : consideration, cooperation, and generosity in providing (as a gift or
privilege);

(e.g. " May I use the bathroom?" "Sure. It's for Kitchen staff only though
and we do have some carrots that need peeled......:-)"- courteous.
e.g. May I use the bathroom?" " No. It is for kitchen staff only."

Another example:
"Can I run through here quick so I don't have to walk around the building?"
"Well, there are several other doors out of the building. Things are pretty
hectic in jhere and I really don't want to have people using this as a
hallway, if you understand. There are a hundred people here and it could get
pretty bad for the kitchen staff......... Go ahead this time but please don't
make a habit of it."-courteous
Can I run through here quick." -no

Ras