SC - Roasted garlic was my latest feast

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Tue Apr 13 22:44:34 PDT 1999

<FontFamily><param>Times New Roman</param>And it came to pass on 13 Apr 99=
,, that Christina Nevin wrote:

 Brighid ni Chiarain wrote:

>> I know of a couple of recipes

>> (sauces and pottages, I think) which use roasted garlic as an ingredien=
t.

> Recipes please!

> Lucretzia

</color>::sigh:: I walked right into that one, didn't I?  Very well, m'lad=
y...

Recipes are from the 1529 edition of Ruperto de Nola's _Libro de
Guisados_.  Translations are mine.

<flushboth><FontFamily><param>Times New Roman</param>ALMODROTE QUE ES CAPI=
ROTADA</flushboth>

<flushboth>Hodgepodge which is "Capirotada"</flushboth>

[Note: I can't translate "Capirotada".  I have various recipes for this di=
sh, all of
which involve layers of birds, bread, and sometimes cheese (except for a
Lenten version using truffles).  It is mentioned in the 1423 carving manua=
_Arte Cisoria_ as one of the standard recipes for preparing fowl.]

	You shall take partridges and after they have been well plucked put them
between the embers and when they have been there for the space of a
paternoster, take them out and clean everything off them and roast them an=
baste them sufficiently with your lard and when they are roasted, cut them=
 as
if to make portions of them, and then grate good cheese of Aragon that is =
fine,
and take two whole heads of garlic roasted between the embers and then pee=
them very well and cleanly and pound them in a mortar, and then put the
cheese in the mortar, and resume pounding it all together, and while you a=
re
pounding them cast a good spoonful of lard into the mortar, with some egg
yolks, and pound it all together, and when it is all well pounded, dissolv=
e it
with good mutton broth that is half cooled, because if it were very hot it=
 would
consume the cheese, and then make slices of bread and toast them and scrap=
off the burnt parts and then scald or soak these toasted slices of bread w=
ith
good mutton broth in an earthenware bowl or a deep plate, and then take th=
em
out and put them on a large plate, all around; in this manner: a layer of =
bread
slice and another of partridges, and in this manner fill up the plate with=
platform of bread slices and another of partridges, and when the plate is =
full
cast the <italic>almodrote</italic> on top of it all and then take melted =
lard and scatter it over
the plate.

SALSA BIZA PARA DIEZ ESCUDILLAS

"Biza" Sauce for Ten Dishes

	You must take three pounds of peeled almonds and pound them well in a
mortar; and then dissolve them with good chicken broth; and and make it pa=
ss
through a hair sieve, in such a manner that the milk comes out well; then =
set it
aside and then take the livers of ducks or hens, and pound them in a morta=
r;
then take three or four heads of garlic roasted in the embers and pound th=
em
with the livers, and after chopping everything well dissolve it all with t=
he
broth and pass it through a woolen cloth; and then put it in a pot with th=
milk, together, and cast into the pot ginger and cinnamon, and pepper, all=

ground; and of each item one dinero, and one egg yolk, well beaten, for ea=
ch
dish, and two ounces of sugar; cast it into the pot.

[The following recipe uses boiled garlic, not roasted, but I included it a=
nyway]

SALSA QUE SE DICE PI=D1ONADA DE AJOS

Sauce Which is Called Pine-Nut Sauce of Garlic

	You will take a pound of pine nuts and another of peeled almonds and
pound them very well, each by itself; and then both together, and cook two=

heads of garlic in a little pot with broth of chicken or mutton; and then =
when
the garlic is well cooked, pound it with the pine nuts and with the well-p=
eeled
almonds.  First the garlic, and when it is all well pounded, pound also wi=
th it a
little grated cheese, which is very good, with eight or nine hard-boiled e=
gg
yolks; and when everything is well pounded, dissolve it with the broth of
chicken or mutton, and set it to cook in a very clean pot; and cast into i=
t one
or two ounces of sugar; and a little bit of rose vinegar tempered with
rosewater  in which crushed cloves and ginger and cinnamon and pepper have=

been steeping overnight; and cook it until it is cooked and quite thick an=
prepare dishes and cast sugar and cinnamon over it.

<flushboth>AJETE PARA ANSARONES</flushboth>

<flushboth>Garlic Sauce for Geese</flushboth>

Roast three or four heads of garlic between the embers or hot ashes; and a=
fter
roasting them, peel off the husks and skins and taste one grain; and if it=
 seems
strong to you, cook them in a pot with only water and give them a boil, an=
then take a pound of pine nuts and half of peeled almonds and pound them i=
a mortar; and when they are more than half pounded, pound those pine nuts
and garlic with them very forcefully; and then dissolve them with good bro=
th
with is fatty; and pass it through a woolen cloth; and then set it in the =
pot to
cook: and cast in four ounces of sugar and whole cinnamon tied with a thre=
ad
and soaked in rosewater, and put it all together in the pot, and leave it =
to cook
until it is well thickened; and it is necessary to cook it a good hour.

I know there are some others, but I don't have them translated.

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann