SC - Keeping out the idle curious

Peggy A. Stonnell izzie at vcn.bc.ca
Tue Apr 13 23:41:39 PDT 1999

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, Jeff Gedney wrote:

<snip>

> You know, I have seen cooks who predispose themselves for a problem. They
> put up "go away or go on the menu" signs, and growl at every face that

We put up one of these signs at our last Baronial Banquet.  The sign whent
up late in the day, about an hour before service.  Most of the work had
been done, and we had a full crew.  The kitchen we where using has only
one door, and we needed it free so that the servers could get in with the
water carffes for refilling.  The people coming to the kitchen at that
point wanted to just talk, or to wash something or just hang around and
there was not enough room.

Anyone who came earlier in the day was put to work and were welcome.

Just before service is not the time to be bothering the kitchen.  It can
be a dangerous place to be.  We were feeding over 200 people.  That meant
big (really big) pots of boiling liquid, meat in the ovens and there is
always at least one person who wants to use the sink in the far corner.

We like limiting the numbers in the kitchen at service time. Fewer people
to trip over each other.

Isobe fitz Gilbert
member Company of Provisioners
Lions Gate, An Tir