SC - Sauces

Stapleton, Jeanne jstaplet at mail.law.du.edu
Wed Apr 14 12:00:43 PDT 1999

OK, folks, since everyone seems to want sauces and textures and the like,
why don't we start a thread on sauces- our favorites, how we made/make them,
what we use for substitute ingredients, what we served them with, and in
some cases, what went wrong (we think). How about it?

	Really *excellent* idea, Phlip.  The redacting grou
	of the Madrone Culinary Guild did a sauce night a
	few years ago--AM might actually have the notes,
	we did it in her then-kitchen--and while I'd have
	to go look up the exact items, we worked from Sinecgifu's
	Take A Thousand Eggs...  My partner and I decided to
	be bold and try the one where you cook down the anchovies
	till they liquefiy.  Son of a gun, it worked!

	the people who made the jance that night got the
	most *perfect* texture I'd ever seen achieved.  It
	was astounding, almost like talcum powder.

	[scurrying home to scrounge up notes]

Berengaria

P.S. - One of the things about the sauce and other items approach
is that it's a gentle way to introduce period foods and get people
to trust your cooking.  I often tell nervous diners to think of
it as chicken McNuggets.  Yes, you can eat the plain roasted
chicken, and it's perfectly lovely on its own.  But if you try
the red stuff, or the green stuff...that can be lovely to.