SC - National Grocery Chains

lilinah at grin.net lilinah at grin.net
Wed Apr 14 17:52:20 PDT 1999

Rosalyn MacGregor (Pattie Rayl) ponders:
>Is there such a thing as a national grocery chain?

I think not (in the US). As this lengthy thread seems to indicate.

But another thing it shows is that smaller local/regional corporations are
buying out other small local/regional corps, while frequently keeping their
names. There may be something approaching an almost national chain (such as
Kroger), but their corporate name isn't displayed outside all the stores
they've been gobbling up.

I rather dread the thought of a national chain. I think we lose something
when smaller idiosyncratic regional businesses with local specialties
become subsumed in a national corporation with a more homogeneous approach.

Just my personal thoughts,
Anahita Gaouri bint-Karim al-Fassi