SC - Sauces / garlic aoli

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Apr 15 07:37:22 PDT 1999

In a message dated 4/15/99 7:43:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

<< I still eat sauces made with raw egg, and abhor eggs cooked until they
 resemble erasers. It's a risk I'm prepared to take, but I'll at least
 consider my options when asking others to take it.

 Adamantius >>

You are , of course, correct, but I still think that the statistical figures
based isolated incidences in the population at large is minimal risk. I eat
soft-boiled eggs, chicken that isn't cooked to death, scrambled eggs with a
sheen, real mayonnaise, etc. Would I serve them at feast? I don't really
know. I would certainly check my supplier for confirmation that the eggs are
disease free.

The thing is to be aware of the POSSIBLE dangers but not be mislead by
statistics. For instance, all wine contains a warning label for pregnant
women about the POSSIBLE danger of low birth weight babies being born if they
consume alsohol. That warning was required because a study of several
thousand severely alcoholic women in drug rehabilitation programs had low a
few under weight babies. The warning does not indicate that high consumption
of alcohol and poor eating habits were two common.factors in the study group.

The point I am trying to make is forwarning is OK but there is not a single
action you can take during any day of your life that does not carry some
minimal risk to you in some way. Just waking up in the morning carries a real
risk of heart attack. :-) OTOH, more people are killed by donkeys every year
than rattlesnakes. Statistically insignificant risks are, IMO, just that.

BTW, the average chocolate bar contains at least 8 insect legs and a 16 0z.
can of pre-processed chili contains the equivalent of an whole grasshopper.
:-)

Ras