SC - feast cleanup for the head cook

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 15 11:32:14 PDT 1999

>I guess I must be nuts. I would no more ask someone to go shop for
>ingredients for me than I would to clean up after me.I take it as a
level of
>consideration and responsibility, I guess.

REally, you are working much to hard at this.  How are you ever going
to teach someone else to do a feast if you save all the tasks for
yourself. I bought most everything myself, but one or two things my
deputy picked up, and maybe would have more if I'd been more
organized.  Yes, I cooked, but having cleaned through the day, someone
else can take over the after feast clean up.

>It comes down to the level of participation, perhaps. Because it's
been
>drilled into me that I should never ask anyone to do something that I
>wouldn't be willing to do, I expect to do clean up.

The phrase doesn't mean you have to actually do it, just that you have
to be willing to do it.  To me this translates as you've cleaned up
the worst as you went along--leaving nothing so gross that you'd be
offended if asked to clean it by someone else. Having done that much,
you can comfortably leave them the rest of the task.

Perhaps you are cooking for much smaller crowds than we are used to.
My feast, through an error on the part of the Park staff, was reduced
to only 64 people + my kitchen staff and servers when they assigned
us to a different site in the park less than two weeks before the
event.  That's the smallest feast I've ever (not) been to.  We usually
feed between 100 and 150, plus staff and the job of clean up is
definately seperate from cleaning when you are dealing with numbers
like that.

Bonne