SC - Greetings and Chicken

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Apr 21 23:37:02 PDT 1999

At 9:39 PM -0400 4/21/99, Michelle Groulx wrote:
> [...]

I think it is worth noting that "remove" and "feastocrat" are quite
different cases. People called courses removes because they believed,
falsely, that "remove" was the period term for "course." Once someone
checked the word in the OED that reason went away. People who continued to
use the term were, for the most part, simply making a historical
error--something that, of course, all of us do quite often.

There may have been people who used "feastocrat" in the belief that it was
a period term, but surely not very many. People used it because they liked
the idea of having ingroup jargon for things we did. Other people chose not
to use it because they found that strikingly out of period ingroup jargon
made the game less fun for them.

That was a disagreement not over historical fact, where one side is simply
right and the other wrong, but over what sort of game one wants to play.
One (out of many) views of the SCA sees it as its own culture, loosely
related to historical fact but ultimately defined by its own customs,
historical or not. That is the approach that I like to describe as the West
Kingdom attitude of "of course it's period--we've been doing it for years."
Another approach sees the objective as modelling things, so far as
practical, after historical practice, in order both to learn more about the
past and to create the illusion that we really are medieval people in a
medieval world, at least occasionally. From that standpoint, "feastocrat"
not only is wrong, it always was.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/