SC - Question about pronunciation

Jessica Tiffin jessica at beattie.uct.ac.za
Thu Apr 22 09:23:26 PDT 1999

Brangwayna Morgan wrote:

    I will be using the dish from the Forme of Cury called "Makke"
    (p 41/A21) as redacted in Cariadoc's Miscellany for an upcoming
    feast.  Can anyone tell me how this name is pronounced?  I would
    like to stress its true name from the beginning to avoid having
    it tagged "medieval refried beans", which it greatly resembles in
    color and texture (and somewhat in taste as well).  I could see
    it being pronounced anywhere from "make" to "Mah-kee" to "muck",
    so I really need some help!

My Middle English is a bit rusty... I do know that the 'e' on the end
is pronounced, sounded like the 'e' in "horses"; I suspect
(feverishly consulting my Chaucer...) the 'a' should be an 'ah', as
in 'father'.  Effect should be something like "mahk - eh".

Hope this helps.  Better still, hope it's right!

Melisant

Melisant de Huguenin    Seneschal, Shire of Adamastor, Cape Town
(Jessica Tiffin, University of Cape Town)
Sable, three owls, wings elevated, argent, each maintaining a
willow slip vert.