SC - Some modernized Forme of Cury - long

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Thu Apr 22 14:24:57 PDT 1999

Greetings All,

14th/15th  Century English can be difficult to read.  The authors of
Curye on Inglysch have provided a glosary in the back of their book.
Working with it to produce a 14th C. English Feast, I became tired of
constantly turning to the glossary, and decided that it would be a useful
thing to modernize the language for use as a working copy.

These recipes are truly valuable only so far as you have the original
with which to compare the modernized version, but the inclusion of those
recipes here would be a serious copyright infringement.  Buy their book,
and use this as a helpful guide, if you agree with my modernizations
after studying the original, yourself.  I'll include a few of the
originals for comparison purposes.  This is not meant to be a word for
word translation, but the meaning of the recipe.  If you don’t care that
much about documentation, it is possible to redact from this alone.

I would particularly like constructive comments from those who have
worked with this a good bit, and feedback from the fairly new people as
to whether they can understand the recipe in this form, perhaps--except
for quantities--even use it.  I like to research, to redact, and to cook.
 Not everyone does.  I'll be happy if this is a help

Cindy Renfrow, in 1000 Eggs, stuck more closely to a word for word
translation, and that is a very good way to study the two versions and
become familiar with the 13-15th C. English, but as she has done that
already, I decided to go closer to modern to make it easier for the
new-comers.  Old-timers, does this invalidate my versions?

The original from which I have worked is:
Hieatt, Constance & Sharon Butler. CURYE ON INGLYSCH. Oxford   University
Press. 1985. 	ISBN 0 19 722409 1

Regards,

Allison
allilyn at juno.com, Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands, Pittsburgh, PA
Kingdom of Aethelmearc

Original: 1.  To make frumente. Tak clene whete & braye yt wel in a
morter tyl [th]e holes gon of; se[th]e it til it breste in water.  Nym it
vp & lat it cole.  Tak good bro[th] & swete mylk of kyn or of almand &
tempere it [th]erwith.  Nym yelkys of eyren rawe & saffroun & cast
[th]erto; salt it; lat it naugt boyle after [th]e eyren ben cast
[th]erinne.  Messe it forth with venesoun or with fat motoun fresch.

1.  To make frumente.  Take clean wheat and bray it well in a mortar
until the hulls gone off; seethe it til it burst in water.  Take it up
and let it cool.  Take good broth and sweet cow’s milk or almond milk and
temper it therewith.  Take raw yolks of eggs and saffron and cast
thereto; salt it; let it not boil after the eggs are added.  Serve it
forth with venison or with fat, fresh mutton.

2.  To make blaunche porre.  Take white leeks and parboil them and mince
with onions.  Add to good broth and simmer with small birds.  Color it
with saffron, season with powder douce.

3.  To make ground beans.  Take beans and dry hem in a nost or in an
oven.  And hull them well, and winnow out the hulls, and wash them clean;
and seethe them in good broth and eat them with bacon.

4.  To make drawn beans.  Take beans and simmer them, and grind them in a
mortar, and draw them up with good broth; and cook finely minced onions
in the broth, and add to the beans; and color with saffron and serve.

5.  To make forced gruel.  Take gruel [oatmeal or barley porridge] and
simmer well with good flesh; grind cooked pork flesh, and strain the
gruel and add to pork, color with saffron, and serve.  [simmer fresh pork
shoulder, cook with barley, puree in blender]

6.  Cabbages in pottage.  Take cabbages and quarter them, and simmer in
good broth with minced onions and the white of leeks slivered small.  Add
saffron and salt, and season it with sweet powders.

7.  Rapes in pottage.  Take turnips and clean them; quarter them; parboil
them, drain. Add to a good broth and simmer; add minced onions, saffron
and salt, and serve it with powder douce.  Cook skirrets and parsnips in
the same way.

8.  Ioutes of Flesh.  Take borage, kale/cabbage, langedebeef [the herb],
parsly, beet greens, orage, avens, violets, savory, and fennel; and when
they are cooked, press them well, chop finely, add them to good broth and
simmer, and serve.  [parboiling and draining before cooking removes some
of the bitter taste] [[something like my braised endive]]

9.  Chebolace.  Take onions and herbs and mince, and cook in good broth;
and serve it as you do cabbages.  If they are served on a fish day, make
in the same manner with water and oil, and if it isn’t Lent, add egg
yolks and dress it forth and sprinkle on powder douce.

10.  Gourdes in pottage.  Take young gourds, pare them and cut in pieces.
 Cook in good broth with a lot of minced onions.  Take cooked pork; grind
it and add it and yolks of eggs.  Add saffron and salt, serve with powder
douce.

PS Stefan, wait for comments before you put it in the Florilegium, OK?