SC - mustard balls - was - First Feast

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Apr 23 03:54:21 PDT 1999

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> 1) What does it mean by "grapes well stamped"? The grape outside after
> most of the juice has been squeezed out? Or the juice? I would guess
> the former.

Yeah, one might think so, since this is supposed to end up a dryish sort
of product. On the other hand, with respect, Lord, it's possible to, um,
think too much...;  ) . If you get my drift. Take some grapes, and
pulverize them in a mortar, or however they're crushed for making wine,
I guess. Take the result, which is unfiltered must, and use it to make
mustard, which is why it's called mustard, apparently.

> 2) Any idea what "sodden wine" or "Bastard wine" is? The former sounds
> like old wine or wine that has been in contact with the air for awhile.
> The latter sounds like just "low grade" wine.

Sodden wine is presumably wine that has been sodden, or seethed, or
boiled. Bastard implies a mixture, but not necessarily low grade:
consider you might some day have to discuss your views with William the
Conqueror and Leonardo da Vinci, both bastards. Mixing various wines,
beers, and ales has a long history before the birth of Half-and-half
(half mild, half bitters?) in British pubs.

> "round or square bals". Ok. :-)

Hey, now there's an interesting point. I'm not gonna run to the
dictionary just this second, but I wonder if we have, over time,
developed a habit of putting the cart before the horse in the matter of
round balls. In other words, does the word mean round, or some kind of
projectile not characterized by its roundness, but by its
projectile-ness, if you know what I'm saying? If so, square balls would
be a perfectly sensible term. And if not, well, we seem to have figured
it out anyway... .

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy