SC - Frumenty - sweet question

Gerekr at aol.com Gerekr at aol.com
Sun Apr 25 21:06:17 PDT 1999

From:	LrdRas at aol.com

>> I was expecting the sweetened recipes,

>Why were you expecting sweet versions?  ...
>Ras
- - - - - -
Because the only other time I've ever made frumenty (20+ yrs ago!), the
only period source I had, and the one I used, was 2-15th, in which 3 out
of 4 include sugar.

When we were doing our research, I charted ingredients on 10 frumenty
recipes from English sources from ca. 1381 thru 2-15th.  Half of them (5)
included sugar.

>From the Misc, the Ancient cookery appended to FC, the recipe on p. 81
>From the Misc, the Noble Boke, the recipe on p. 100
>From my own EETS 2-15th, the recipes on pp. 17, 70 & 105 (that's 75% of
the recipes in that source)

Thanks to Bear for the info on bulgur and hard/soft wheat.  Did anyone
else have more opinions or evidence on the question of whole wheat
berries vs physically-smashed-in-some-form ones being what period
upper-class diners would expect?

Thanks,
Chimene