SC - Lobster - period?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Apr 26 07:34:09 PDT 1999

"Oughton, Karin (GEIS, Tirlan)" wrote:

> One of the possibles is to do lobsters...

> Are there any period sources I could be pointed at, have you got any
> personal goodies?

>From Diuersa Servicia, Book II of Curye On Inglysch, Ed. Hieatt and
Butler, Early English Text Society, Oxford University Press, 1985:

"66.	 For to make blomanger of fysch, tak a pound of rys. Les hem wel &
wasch; & se)th) tyl (th)ey breste & lat hem kele; & do (th)ereto mylk of
to pound of almandys. Nym (th) perche or (th) lopuster & boyle yt, &
kest sugur & salt also (th)erto, & serue yt forth."

on the next page...

"75. 	For to mak a lopister, he schal be rostyd in his scalys in a ouen
o(th)er by (th) feer vnder a panne, and eten wy(th) veneger."

As I recall, Taillevent suggests eating them with vinegar or verjuice.

Roasted lobsters, BTW, are a bit of work to get out of the shell,
compared to moist-cooked versions, but have a concentrated lobster
flavor that is impossible to reproduce or even describe. I like mine
with a sauce made from butter, salt and pepper, and single-malt Scotch whiskey.

 HTH,

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy