SC -krapfen, was (still sorta is) period fruit pastries, long

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Thu Apr 29 00:27:08 PDT 1999

The _Mittelhochdeutsches Taschenwoerterbuch_ lists: 2 meanings for
krapfe.  1] swm,. md. krape [in italics] haken, , klammer; tuerangel; in
der wappenkunde: sparren.   (Valoise or Gwen-Cat will have to translate
that exactly)
2] krapfe swm., krapfen; hode.
krapfen swv. haken.

Some of those words translate to modern English as closure or clasp, in
my German/English dictionary.  I don't have a problem with seeing a
turnover as a result of this.  My 1709 book that is the publication of a
16thC. manuscript lists recipes for kraffen under "All sorts of bake
work".  Some are baked in lard, they have fillings, or nuts stirred into
the batter.  The double ff is always present, sometimes p is also:
kraffen, and krapffen.  I think, that translating 'bake in grease/lard'
to frying or deep-fat frying, is what is meant.  Maybe.  Sometimes.

Comparing the English and German copies of _The Medieval Kitchen_ is
interesting.  Recipe 125, in English, is Marrow Fritters.  In German,
Krapfen mit Mark.  iN THIS CASE, THE MARROW IS BONE MARROW, NOT A
VEGETABLE CALLED A MARROW.  (sorry--not shouting, just clumsy)  Recipe
129 is The Emperor's Fritters, and Kaiserkrapfen.  Recipe 128 is for
Fruit Patties, Fruechtepastetchen, Rissoles aux Fruits, but the phrase
Kleine Krapfen is used.  Plus more.

So, the German translator of the French modern book uses the word krapfen
to describe both fruit filled pastries--little rounds of dough with fruit
filling inside, and fruit stirred into batter.  The French authors would
recognize Anne-Marie's krapfen, presumably.

My modern German cook books don't use the term in the index, except for
one on baking.  THAT GIVES A RECIPE FOR (the books are holding down the
shift key) Andalusische Krapfen.  The beautiful picture has half-moon
shaped pastries, covered with sesame seeds.  The filling is 1 small
onion, 150 g. chopped beef, salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon marjoram, 1-2
tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup, 10 pimento filled
olives.  The picture of the filling looks like rather dry Sloppy Joes
with sliced olives.  The filled pies/pastries/turnovers/krapfen are
brushed with milk and egg yolk, salt and sesame seed.  They are not deep
fried, though.  You put them in a greased baking pn and bake in a
pre-heated oven 15-20 minutes at 220* C.   Serve warm.  This definately a
savory and not a sweet.

Other pictures and recipes use other terms--Oh Boy!  Just found a
glossary in one that I didn't know I had!  Will have to check and see if
all the words are in the glossary I sent Gwen-Cat and Valoise, except
this is modern.--Added a few.
buben -  prune fritters are Schlosserbuben; have 2 recipes for this,
prunes stuffed with almonds and 	dipped in batter, deep-fried.
Probably Swabian.
kuechel - fritter batter is Kuechelteig; apple fritters is Apfelkuechel
(Using an e in place of the umlaut in 	ku [umlaut] chel).  Also
kuechlein (little kuechel) A deep-fried apple pastry
pasteten - Koeniginpasteten are queen's pastry, or puff pastry patties.

The vocabulary is probably a local thing, or tradition, or it's just
changed over the years.  Kuechelin also is Swabian.  I'll have to check
more regional recipes.

Conclusion:
Krapfen: A fritter or a small turnover type, that is either fried or
baked, in lard.

Regards,

Allison
allilyn at juno.com, Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands, Pittsburgh, PA