SC - Is tarragon period?

Thu Apr 29 12:33:07 PDT 1999

Tarragon, basil and oregano are all Old World herbs.

Broccoli and cauliflower are variants of Brassica oleracea (cabbage) and
have been eaten in Europe since Roman times.

The moose is both New World and Old World.  Alces alces is the Old World
species.  Alces americana is the New World species.  In Europe, A. alces is
commonly called elk.

What we in the US call elk is wapiti or Cervus canadensis, a strictly New
World member of the deer family.

Quail and grouse have species both in the New World and the Old World.
Pheasants, including true partridges, are entirely Old World.  The common
names have been used with a number of genera and species, so precise
identification and location should be made by scientific nomenclature.

The artichoke (Cynara scolymus) is indigenious to Southern Europe.

Bear