Stew (was SC - period fruit pastries)

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Thu Apr 29 19:11:11 PDT 1999

And it came to pass on 28 Apr 99,, that Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Did I miss it when someone said, "I know how to make modern beef stew, so
> I want to cook it at a feast, is it period?"

No... I inadvertantly set the cat among the pigeons.  In response to the
query "are fruit pastries period?", I replied that the question was too
vague.  One might as well ask if beef stew was period (it is, but not all
kinds).  When I say "beef stew" I only assume pieces of beef cooked in
a liquid thicker than soup, though vegetables are a pleasant addition.  I
should, perhaps, have said "stewed beef" instead.

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann